Knowledge is essential. Teachers are indispensable. But there is a vast chasm between knowing something and putting it into action. If ever there was a time when action is required, it is now. Because of COVID-19, the Church has been forced to leave the building. The status quo for how most people “do church” has been changed, likely forever. I, for one, am very excited about what COVID-19 has put in place to move Jesus’ disciples to action.
This isn’t rocket science. All that is required is a little common sense and some courage. Here are some ideas.
- In our last post, we suggested making a map of your neighborhood showing the houses of your immediate neighbors. The purpose was to provide a mechanism by which you could regularly pray for them by name. Since that post, I have discovered an application that provides you with a map, the names of your neighbors, and a daily prayer you can offer on their behalf. After registering at Bless Every Home, you will receive a daily reminder to pray for specific neighbors by name.
- As you pray for your neighbors, live intentionally in your neighborhood. Take walks and talk to the people you see. Just be friendly! Introduce yourself to people who engage. Identify your home, where you live. If you have prayed for them, tell them. Ask if they have any specific things they would like for you to pray about.
- Invite your neighbors into your home for coffee, dessert, or even a meal. If you are not yet comfortable with having people in your home, sit outside on your back porch or in your front yard. Make a spectacle of Jesus in you!
- Don’t ask your neighbors if they know Jesus. Show them that you do! Read the Gospels. Read Acts 2. Over time, initiate spiritual conversations as God opens doors. Let the Lord lead you as you begin to do His ministry by wandering around. Needs will become evident. Your trustworthiness will become apparent. As you skillfully meet the needs of people around you, opportunities for Kingdom conversations will present themselves. “Organic” is the watchword. Let things happen naturally.
- Stop waiting to go back to “Church In A Box.” The lost, lonely, frightened, and needy are waiting for you right where you are. For years they may have watched you get in your car on Sunday morning and drive away. Maybe they wondered “why?” COVID-19 has presented the Church with open doors of opportunity. Stop waiting, Start walking.