The father of the Jewish people was Abraham. Moses led his descendants out of slavery in Egypt to Mount Sinai where God gave the children of Israel its national and spiritual charter, the conditional Mosaic Covenant. The relevance of the 613 commandments given by God to the Jewish people at Mount Sinai has been discussed by the followers of Jesus for almost 2,000 years. Thankfully, the Promised Prophet like Moses (Deuteronomy 18:15-19, 34:10-12) was obedient to every single commandment. Why? Jesus had to be perfect according to the demands o the Law in order to be the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world. Teach your disciples the story of Moses well and they will live in spiritual freedom, unshackled by the bondage of legalism.
Main Story Points
1. Mt. Sinai is the same place where God had first appeared to Moses in the burning bush, identifying Himself as I AM.
2. Through Moses, God had brought 10 plagues on Egypt for Pharaoh’s refusal to let Israel go. The final plague was the death of the first-born in an event now celebrated as Passover.
3. Quote: “If you will indeed obey My voice and keep My covenant, then you shall be My own possession among all the peoples, for all the earth is Mine; and you shall be to Me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.” NASB
4. Moses was on Mt. Sinai 40 days and nights, receiving the conditional Mosaic Covenant which included 613 specific commandments.
5. Returning to camp, Moses carried the two stones containing what are known today as the Ten Commandments.
6. Israel had already fallen into idolatry, worshipping the golden calf made by Aaron. In anger, Moses broke the tablets. He feared for the future of his people.
7. Within the Mosaic Covenant was the sacrificial system that would cover the sins of those who believed until the perfect and final sacrifice would be made by the Lamb of God, Jesus.
8. Mt. Nebo was the last mountain Moses would climb, the place where he would die.
9. Quote: “The LORD your God will bring you into the land which your fathers possessed, and you shall possess it; and He will prosper you and multiply you more than your fathers. Moreover the LORD your God will circumcise your heart and the heart of your descendants, to love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul, so that you may live.” NASB
10. On Mt. Nebo, Moses was shown the Promised Land, the land promised to the
descendants of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob forever.
Points to Ponder
1. The people who would come to be known as the Jews received the conditional Mosaic Covenant at Mt. Sinai. They were chosen to be God’s people, set apart from all others.
2. One third of the Mosaic Covenant dealt with what was expected concerning God’s worship by Israel. Sacrifice was part of the worship God required. What are some of the things God wanted the Jews to learn from the sacrificial system?
3. Due to Israel’s disobedience, the conditional Mosaic Covenant was broken. These commandments are no longer binding on Jesus’ disciples since the birth of the Church in Acts 2.
Join Our Team
P.S. – Remember #DiscipleDaily.