Adam and Eve
From the dirt of the ground, Adam was created in the image of God. Alone in the Garden of Eden, from one of Adam’s ribs, God lovingly fashioned an companion to share Adam’s life with him. Adam and Eve had everything they needed in the garden. Their relationship as man and wife was perfect. Their relationship with their Creator was also perfect. For some period of time, they lived in a world we have never experienced. It was a work untarnished by sin and death. During that time, Adam and Eve never had a reason to be ashamed. Can you imagine living in a world like that?
Main Story Points
1. God made man on the sixth day and placed him in the Garden of Eden. The man had a purpose and work that he enjoyed doing.
2. The man had freedom to do anything he wanted, with one exception.
3. Quote: “From any tree of the garden you may eat freely; but from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat from it you will surely die.” NASB.
4. This was a conditional covenant (agreement) between God and the man. If Adam ate from the tree, he would die. If he did not eat from the tree, he would live.
5. Quote: “It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him.” NASB
6. God had the man give names to all of the animals who came before him two by two. God brought the man to the realization that he was alone, without a mate, a helper.
7. The woman was fashioned from one of the man’s ribs.
8. The man and the woman had everything they needed in the Garden of Eden.
9. For some time, Adam and Eve were sinless. They lived in perfect fellowship with each other and with God.
Points to Ponder
1. Genesis 2 is an expansion of the sixth day of Creation as recorded in Genesis 1:1 – 2:3.
2. This story contains the first covenantal agreement between Goad and mankind. It is a conditional covenant governed by an “if /then” formula. It required Adam’s obedience to remain in effect. Obedience to God’s covenant would have resulted in Adam’s continuation of life. If Adam disobeyed God, then he would die.
3. God gave the conditional covenant to Adam before Eve was created.
4. Everything the man needed was in the Garden of Eden except one thing, a helpmate.
Join Our Team
P.S. – Remember #DiscipleDaily.